Thursday, October 1, 2015

21st Century Automation Night



21st Century Automation Night
On Tuesday, November 3, MHS is hosting the “21st Century Automation Night.”  It is a chance to hear from people in the fields of engineering and automation (A.K.A: manufacturing).  Come and hear about the exciting new careers in these plants that are all around Lake County.  Many of them are looking for sharp people who are willing to be trained for a career that can last decades, with lots of great benefits and competitive pay.  Many of these companies will also pay for certifications…and possibly college degrees.

If you have any questions, contact Dave Mork, Fine & Applied Arts Department Chair.  (847) 949-2200 x1081, or: dmork@d120.org


ACT Bootcamp
The Literacy Center will be having an ACT Bootcamp (Click HERE for more INFO) for the English, reading, and writing portions of the ACT on October 8 at 7:30am and October 21 at 3:25pm.  If you have any students in your classes who would possibly be interested (from any grade level) please let them know they can find out more information and sign up for one of the sessions in the Literacy Center!

Calendar Reminder


Tuesday, October 6 - Schedule “C”. Student dismissal at 11:00am.

Recognition


National Merit Scholarship Program Commended Students
Congratulations to our National Merit Scholarship Program Commended Students; Elise Campbell, Kevin Fung, Abigail Grein, Minh Le, and Angela Peterson. Commended Students throughout the nation are being recognized for their exceptional academic promise. Although they will not continue in the 2016 competition for National Merit Scholarship awards, Commended Students placed among the top five percent of more than 1.5 million students who entered the 2016 competition by taking the 2014 PSAT/NMSQT. “The young men and women being named Commended Students have demonstrated outstanding potential for academic success,” commented a spokesperson for NMSC. Elise, Kevin, Abigail, Minh, and Angela will be recognized at the Senior Honors Assembly in May.



Photographs from the week

Brittany Vilanueva ‘18 laughs outside of the school in the evening after her cheer practice.

The MHS Varsity volleyball team sings the national anthem together on their teacher appreciation night against Deerfield.

Mr. Hirshman addresses the second Model UN meeting on September 30th.


College & Career Resource Center


College Rep Visits scheduled for next week:
Marquette University (Katie Hennicke)    Monday, October 5 - 9:00 am


Activities


Orchesis
Monday, October 5, MHS Orchesis club will present their first performance of the 2015-16 school year. Performance will include various styles of dance choreographed and performed by Orchesis club members and the Dance PE class. The club members will host a youth  dance clinic on Sunday, October 4th from 1-2:30. Kids Pre-school - 8th grade will work on dance technique and learn a dance to perform in the Monday night show. Cost of the clinic is $15 and includes a Tshirt. Admission to the show is $4 adults, $3 seniors and students.


Universidad de Padres
Spanish Speaking Parents: Universidad de Padres will have its first meeting on Wednesday, October 7, 2015 from 6-8 PM. Please visit the Universidad de Padres page for more information. Hope to see you there. Jesús M. Tirado, Assistant Principal; jtirado@d120.org, 847-949-2200, extension 1402.

Indoor Marching Band Concert
Mundelein High School’s Marching Mustangs will perform an indoor concert Thursday, October 8, 2015 beginning at 7pm in the MHS main gym. There is no admission charge for the concert.


Athletics


VIP delivered athletic team and individual picture this week.  Coaches will be handing out the picture in the next few days.  If you have any question about your picture order, please contact VIP’s customer service representatives at 1-800-577-9570, M-F, 8am - 5pm.


Staff Spot Light

Jesus Tirado – Assistant Principal

Life before MHS – Teacher, Dean, Assistant Principal from K-12

What are your hobbies/interests? – My hobbies and interest revolve around sports. I am either watching or playing a sport on a daily basis. The two sports I still play are golf (during warm weather) and basketball (picking it up again playing once a week with other MHS staff members). When it comes to sports I watch on TV or in person, baseball is my favorite by far (GO CUBS GO!!). I also enjoy watching the Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls, and NIU Football – GO HUSKIES!!! If none of my favorite teams are on television, I watch all sports - tennis, soccer, golf, rugby, and even curling.            

Insider tip for parents – Consistency and routine are crucial for bringing up well-rounded kids. My children go to bed at the same time every single day no matter where we are – it helps with their health as they get their necessary hours of sleep, but also it limits grumpiness.

Best part of working at MHS? – I believe I came to MHS at a time where we are reflecting on how to make the Mundelein High School Experience the best one in Lake County (ultimately, the world). I enjoy discussing best practices and new ideas to ensure ALL our students leave MHS prepared to succeed in the college and personal careers.

You may not know... I am happily married to my wife, Maribel, who supports everything I do in my career. The decision to join MHS was a family decision, so much that we are moving to Grayslake, so I may be able to be the best assistant principal and Papi (father) to our 4 sons.

What college/university did you attend? I earned my Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education from Northern Illinois University; Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership from Roosevelt University; presently attending Western Illinois University working on a Doctorate Degree in Educational Leadership with Superintendent Endorsement.
         
How long have you worked at MHS? – As of October 1, it has been 3 months that I have been an MHS staff member.

Who or what inspires you? – Born in Cotuí, San Germán, Puerto Rico, a small mountain town where my family still does not have hot water and electricity did not arrive at my abuelo’s (grandparents’) home until the early 90’s, I have experienced poverty at its lowest aside from being a foster child,  growing up in a single-parent home, and a first-generation student, During my life, I have had many people who have inspired me (other than my mother), with all happening to also be educators – Mr. Vega (1st grade), Mrs. and Dr. Dailey (foster parents), Mrs. Henry (6th-7th), Mr. Brydie, and Mr. Milkie. I am inspired by having the opportunity to be a role model for my sons and students. The one way I feel I can best inspire is by sharing my story as it will connect with anyone and everyone I come in contact with on a daily basis.

What is your favorite part of your job? - My favorite part of my job is working with such amazing people who are wanting the best for all our students. A special thank you to Mrs. Amanda Parola for making the transition a lot smoother by helping me learning the Mundelein Way.

Good book recommendation – A great book for both educators and parents is Yardsticks, a book that gives insight into the development of children at different ages. I first read it as an educator, but I also use it as a parent.